If you are like me, then money is precious and I love to use up everything I possibly can from the weekly shop each week.
This week I want to share a really easy and simple homemade soup recipe that you might be able to tweak to your heart’s content and make it a “go-to” recipe on a cold winter’s day.
MamaFurfur’s Homemade Veg based Soup
You will need:
500ml hot water
1 stock cube of a flavour you would prefer (I often use veg or chicken)
Handful of Red lentils
Handful of Chopped frozen Red or White Onion
4 or 5 whole chopped Carrots
Any cold meats left overs or other veg you want to throw in to use up!
- What to do
1) Put a little Olive oil (I use spray olive oil just to give a light small amount rather) and place a handful of chopped onion into a large pan.
2) On a medium heat, soften the onions for a few minutes until they take on a soft golden colour (this adds flavour!)
3) Chop 4 or 5 whole carrots and thrown them in to start to cook slightly and soften for another 3-4 minutes
4) Now add in a handful of Red Lentils and stir for a few minutes again.
5) To 500ml of boiling water, add your favourite stock cube and now add the stock to the veg cooking away.
6) Leave on a low heat to bubble for approximately 15 minutes, checking every so often to stir and not burn.
7) Remove from heat for approximately 10 minutes to cool down
8) You can choose to blend your soup there to a smooth consistency or leave it chunky.
9) Finally throw in some left over cooked meats, such as ham or chicken for a little extra taste, or perhaps some frozen peas or small veg.
10) Serve warm from freshly made or can last up to 2 days in the fridge and reheat as needed.
A great and easy Veg soup base just right for a tasty and healthy lunch or supper! Cost is very cheap as well or if you are like me, it is mainly leftovers from the weekly shop before they go mouldy anyway!
Love MFF xx